Friday, October 19, 2012

Beaumaris Castle

The Welsh have been invaded by the English over and over again, and have rarely held much sovereignty over their territory. The north had more control and longer, largely because nobody had all that much interest in it, but this changed towards the late 13th century, when Edward I started kicking Welsh ass. He built a series of castles to keep the rebelious sheepshaggers under control, and one of these was Beaumaris Castle in Beaumaris, on Anglesey. I stopped in today, and did a quick walk around the grounds - I think I spent pretty exactly 30 minutes all told in there.

The castle is run by Cadw, the Welsh version of English Heritage and Historic Scotland (as I may have mentioned, I hold a lifetime membership in the latter). Due to reciprocal agreements between these, I get into all properties for free. The castle I visited earlier - Penhryn - is owned by the National Trust for Wales. Since I am member of the English trust, I get in for free in Scotland & Wales too. I think maybe if I live to 85-90, I may make my money back on these memberships!

All pics here.

From the outside.
DSCN5061

The entrance gate.
DSCN5065

The courtyard.
DSCN5075

DSCN5070

From the walls.
DSCN5076

No comments: