Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Wallace Monument

Early this morning... well... nineish, I went up to the Wallace monument. I've been there before but just had to climb to the top again. I even climbed all the way from the parking lot to the monument, that's how fit I am. Nevermind that I was ready for a heart attack when I reached the top and was breathing like some perv phone caller at 3AM.

The monument almost never came into existence, and was heavily debated in the first few years, but is now one of Scotlands greatest tourist attractions. There are several levels inside the tower - the first houses the Wallace sword and has an exhibition on his life, the second has busts of a number of Scottish notabilities and the third shows the history of the tower. I stopped for extended breathers at every one of them.

Still, the views from the top are unsurpassed anywhere in Scotland...

All pics.

Sun on autumn leaves. Sigh.
DSCN4294

DSCN4298

Sun on fog. Double sigh.
DSCN4295

Adam Smith, FTW!
DSCN4330

The Wallace sword.
DSCN4324

Down on that plain somewhere stood the old Stirling Bridge, where William Wallace won a victory in 1295.
DSCN4342

Stirling Castle in the morning sun.
DSCN4344

Fog in the morning.
DSCN4304

More fog.
DSCN4321

Sho pwetty.
DSCN4337

In the direction of Edinburgh.
DSCN4341

No comments: