Monday, October 1, 2012

Prudhoe Castle

After the Angel, I went up north to see Hadrian's Wall. I'd seen a castle on my road map that was very close to the Wall, so I thought I'd get in a good hour of ruin spotting first. Prudhoe Castle however turned out to be one of one my biggest FAILS as a tourist. First, I spent way too much time randomly searching the tiny hamlets for a sign of a fuckin' castle. Second, the road to and fro was terrifying in its narrowness. Third, the effing place was CLOSED. Wanna know when they closed? TODAY, October 1st. Le sigh.

Still, I got in a few pics of the castle and the surrounding area. Also, a pathetic story of how the Scots tried to lay siege to the castle in the late 1100s. Upon finding the place utterly impenetrable, they vandalized... wait for it... the orchard! They even stripped the bark off the trees, THAT'S how angry they were. Yeah, that'll teach 'em.

All pics here.

The path up through the Barbican.
DSCN3586

The courtyard with the ruins of the original Great Hall.
DSCN3591

The Georgian manor built in the early 1800s.
DSCN3592

The absofuckinlutely terryfingly narrow bridge I had to drive across. Twice.
DSCN3599

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to live hear that bridge you to cross is not that bad lol i have walked over it lol