Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Baker City and the Geiser Hotel

As I've said previously, Baker City is a very nice little place, especially Main Street. I read up on a tourist brochure and there are apparently 110 buildings downtown which are quite old, but many of which were plastered over in the horrible fifties. They've now installed grants to provide funds for the regeneration of these buildings.

The Geiser, which I only had lunch at in '09, proved to be a nice hotel, with spacious rooms and even bathrobes. When I saw the "one size fits all" I smiled and when I saw the "made in China" I guffawed. The food was as good as ever and for dessert they served up a piece of cheesecake that was as big as the dinner, I kid you not.

All pics here.

The master of the room enjoying himself with a bottle of Diet Mountain Dew.
DSCN1092

The Geiser is a very handsome building. It was almost torn down to make way for a parking lot, after closing down in 1969. They did extensive renovations in 1993-8.
DSCN1104

Airy and cozy rooms.
DSCN1053

The dining room where I stuffed face on cheesecake.
DSCN1096

View from the window in the morning.
DSCN1095

Interesting street art.
DSCN1109

Baker Tower, the art deco building which is still the tallest in eastern Oregon.
DSCN1098

A stately, old home which is now a bank. I think it's nice to see old buildings still in use.
DSCN1103

No comments: