Thursday, August 2, 2012

Black bear - again

I persuaded Siri (it didn't take much, she was already in love with Yellowstone) to cut across to Canyon junction to see the Artist's point area. Just before the exit, there was this huuuuuge congestion of traffic and I got out to investigate.

I quickly found out that a bear had been spotted stuffing face in a meadow up the road. I alerted Siri and we walked up to where a park ranger was fighting a losing battle with the onlookers, who were doing their utmost to ignore pleadings of staying the fuck in their vehicles or pulling back for their own safety. They had come for bear, and they'd found bear; no park ranger was going to stand in their way.

At first I thought it was a grizzly bear, and so did a lot of others. We couldn't get a clear shot; all I could see was a pretty good size animal of dark brown color. It wasn't really grizzly bear behavior to stay this unaffected so close to humans, but I just figgered we'd gotten lucky.

After I'd taken the car and gotten a bit further up I walked back to take more pics, and I soon realized it was in fact a huge black bear. He had pointy ears and no clear hump on his back, but since the color was a bit lighter I'd taken him for a grizzly. Now the behavior fitted too, of going about his sweet business and not giving a shit about people taking photos; a grizzly would likely have been much more shy.

At this point I still hadn't caught on.
DSCN0512

Here I was getting suspicious.
DSCN0513

Prominent ears. Case closed.
DSCN0517

Pretty big fella.
DSCN0519

DSCN0522

My first pic from the first angle. See the color? No wonder I was fooled at first!
DSCN0505

No comments: