Sunday, August 19, 2012

Solvang

Saturday I drove from Lompoc, which turned out to be quite an ok little city down to Solvang, a Danish outpost on the American west coast. I stopped by the local museum, which was quite... small... and then walked around a bit down the main street, which is almost too cute in all its fake Danishness.

I also stopped by to have a horribly, terribly, sickeningly, punishably Danish lunch at Olsen's Bakery. And by Danish lunch I mean I ate three pieces of what the Americans call "Danish", and which Scandinavians call Wienerbrød (Viennese bread). These things are little bombs of sugar and fat, but they taste so, so good. Sigh.

All Solvang pics here.

I ate them all. *Hanging head in shame*
DSCN2403

This is the place where I bought the Danish pastries. If I don't make it back home, you now know what killed me.
DSCN2394

Droolz.
DSCN2399

The exterior of the museum.
DSCN2355

The Star Spangled Banner and the Danebrog. The flags of two of my favorite peoples flying together. *sniffs*
DSCN2352

Stuff. And may I say, without any slighting of the Danish museum, that 90% of what was in there could probably have been found in a Norwegian museum.
DSCN2375

Dollhouse, wheeee.
DSCN2382

He's got that Aryan look about him.
DSCN2361

I'm pretty sure this is the old City Hall Square in Copenhagen.
DSCN2383

Danish Folk Dances for Piano.
DSCN2366

This ship was made in the 1700s, when Norway was still a part of Denmark. Its name is "The Norwegian Lion".
DSCN2365

A windmill. I'll say it again, main street was sickeningly cute & cozy.
DSCN2406

Some random street corner.
DSCN2396

Even the fire station had that cozy, Danish look about it.
DSCN2351

Milking the vikings for all they're worth.
DSCN2391

No comments: