Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Multnomah Falls

As previously written, I walked further up the wonderful Multnomah Falls this time than when I was here last November. The bridge you can see from the view point at the bottom actually isn't that far up, and not having the pressure of time I decided to follow the disgustingly fit Siri up the hill.

We continue to meet interesting people. There was a guy with a giant Alaskan malameut dog down by the benches. The dog's name was Bear, but Sheep would have fitted better for this gentle giant. In the parking lot I made a comment about the t-shirt of a biker - it said "every day is better with ice cream", to which no dissent will be tolerated - and I said "ain't that the gospel truth". We talked a little and it turned out both he and his biker pal had been to Norway once, as members of the US Navy. Nice guys and good convo.

Later today, in the Motel 6 laundry room of all places, I got to talking to a couple, and she had German and Norwegian ancestry. She spoke highly of lefse, not so highly of lutefisk. These parts are still crawling with Norwegians and derivations thereof, or people with SOME kind of connection to Norway. If you don't believe me, come see for yourself!

All Multnomah pics here, including the old ones.

The full fall of the upper part of Multnomah.
DSCN1162

'tis less than 5 minutes to climb up there.
DSCN1147

Bear. I've seen a lot of beautiful dogs in my time, but this was one of the finest. And so gentle.
DSCN1183

Some schmuck was proposing on the bridge. Their friends stood all around with cameras and one held a card that said something like "you'll never forget this day", which must have appeared on their pics. The cynic in me tells me they'll rue this day in five years, but maybe not. Meh.
DSCN1180

Siri begging not to be thrown over the fence. I was magnanimous THIS time, but if the window cleaning on the car doesn't improve...
DSCN1177

Boxer Ken Clean-Air System has reached another dead end.
DSCN1170

No comments: