Friday, August 17, 2012

Gilroy

Thursday, I went from Fresno to San Simeon on the coast. Along the way I passed through the city of Gilroy, which you may have heard of - it calls itself the Garlic Capital of the World. Every year at the end of July, they throw a weekend-long festival in honor of this noble vegetable.

Anyway, I stopped there for brunch but the food wasn't all that good, which had nothing to do with any absence or presence of garlic. I also walked a couple of blocks on the main drag (Monterey?) and took some pics.

A big mural, celebrating the festival of 1979. Possibly the first?
DSCN2125

The old City Hall from 1905 is now a Spanish restaurant.
DSCN2129

Outside the building is a small statue of the Scottish Mr Gilroy, who was the first English speaker in the area, back in the 1800s. He married a Mexican woman and they had SEVENTEEN children.
DSCN2130

The festival has its own offices, right next to the Chamber of Commerce.
DSCN2127

This poor fella has a garlic bulb on his head.
DSCN2131

He's even got a stick up his ass, for fuck's sake.
DSCN2132

Two notables from sumfin, sumfin. I forget; sue me.
DSCN2126

Some random decoration.
DSCN2124

No comments: