Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Over the mountains again

I long ago decided that if I had a chance, I would cram in Yosemite on my itinerary. In order to do that, I had to drive from the coast to the Sierra Nevada mountain range, of which Yosemite is a part. So that's what I did Tuesday.

I hurried down the coast, which was foggy as fuck anyway and then took I-80 up to Sacramento and got on US50 to Lake Tahoe. It was raining all the time on 50, and for much of the way on CA 89, which also is one of the prettier roads in America. Okokok, the country is full of 'em, aight? 89 goes up from Tahoe over the mountains and meets US 395 a few miles north of Mono Lake.

All pics here.

I'd stopped here back in 2009, and had a long conversation with the owner but it seemed dark and closed when I dropped by yesterday. Also, strictly speaking, this is US 50.
DSCN1972

From the ascent on CA 89. Sadly, the weather messed up a lot of my pics.
DSCN1998

It's a long road.
DSCN1987

This is the last major lookout point before the descent down to US 395. There's just something about this valley which appeals to me.
DSCN2007

Yellowish rock.
DSCN1974

Strictly speaking US 395.
DSCN2014

No comments: