Thursday, August 2, 2012

Glacier National Park

I last left you with an account of my trip through Yellowstone up to Montana. SO MUCH has happened since then, nearly all of it good, nay spectacular. I first stayed three nights in a town called Butte. As is my wont, I located the nearest Denny's, for the sole purpose of stuffing face. I've raved about this chain before, and I will rave some more about their restaurant in Butte, which is peopled by some of the nicest people ever.

In addition to stuffing face, I shamelessly stole internet capacity to upload the batch of pics preceeding these, including the Yellowstone ones. I waved my waitress over to get her opinion on the wolf pic that I was uncertain about and she immediately pronounced it a wolf, not a cougar.

Then the funniest thing happened. She looked at my computer and asked me where I was from. When I said "Norway", she squealed with delight and went on to tell me that she'd lived in Norway for eight months, and that she missed the nature there and so on and so forth. We began talking and she even sat down to reminisce and chat about Norway. We quickly bonded and I went back there a couple of times during my stay. Iffin you're ever in Butte, go to Denny's and ask for Alex, she'll take great care of you!

Saturday, I drove up to Glacier National Park, near the Canadian border. I've heard people rave about this place, and my waitress at Denny's was also adamant about its qualities. Having gone there I don't think it quite reaches Beartooth beauty but it's a close one. Sadly, I only got to upload a little over half of the pics from the park, the rest are still stuck on my old hard drive, but I think you'll get a pretty good idea of the beauty of the place.

All pics here.

The first lake was quiet and serene.
DSCN0216

A bit further up the road there was a waterfall, one of many along the climb up the valley.
DSCN0234

View from the narrow road winding its way up the mountainside to Logan's Pass.
DSCN0271

There were lots of hidden valleys up there, usually lush and green with waterfalls spouting.
DSCN0286

See the bridge? And the waterfall? And the lush, green scenery? And the bare, beautiful rock behind it? Wail, wail.
DSCN0287

There were SO many places I wanted to put up that imaginary red cabin of mine.
DSCN0283

The hanging valley just before Logan's Pass.
DSCN0307

It looks so cozy down there. Red cabin, people. Red cabin.
DSCN0313

Starting the descent on the other side of Logan's Pass, looking back to Logan.
DSCN0329

The valley on the other side of the pass.
DSCN0333

St Mary's Lake towards the end of the park.
DSCN0337

Looking back from the park exit.
DSCN0342

No comments: