Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shoshone Falls

I know you must all be pretty tired of me using words like stunning, mighty purdy, magnificent, beautiful, cozy, etc, etc, but there are just so many places here in the US that qualify as all those things and then some. But I wonder if maybe the nicest yet are the views we saw this morning, at Shoshone Falls in Idaho. Just click on through if you need more, but these should convince you.

All pics here.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. There is something very LOTR about this area, something otherworldly.
DSCN0952

But so beautiful.
DSCN1003

Arty farty soft pic.
DSCN0958

The rarely seen water monster.
DSCN0955

And the even rarer water nymph.
DSCN0953

Not sure what the dark color on the rocks is caused by. Algae, maybe?
DSCN0962

If I squinted my eyes and tilted my head just so, I could let myself imagine that this old powerstation was some kind of Greek temple.
DSCN0985

The incredibly beautiful and serene waters just behind the falls. I'd do anything short of actual, hard labour to be able to afford a house here.
DSCN1027

Siri agrees.
DSCN1019

A park bench and Lady Liberty just up from the water's edge. Somebody's understood what it's all about.
DSCN1024

Cooooozy cave on the small island in the middle of all the roaring water.
DSCN0976

Wail.
DSCN1005

Both Siri and I thought this would be the perfect little bathing place.
DSCN0975

This area would also qualify.
DSCN0995

There was a rainbow forming down in the foaming waters.
DSCN0978

A natural bridge just downstream from the falls.
DSCN0988

The view downstream. Evil Knievel tried to jump the river about where the power lines are, but failed miserably.
DSCN0950

Green lawns in the park by the side of the falls.
DSCN1016

The lovely lake up behind the falls and the water. I don't think it was in any way connected to the actual falls.
DSCN1037

Garbage?!?!?! This is what the death penalty is for!
DSCN1038

I tried to follow Siri's jump over the little stream by the parking lot, but that was an epic FAIL. I got wet and muddy.
DSCN1042

No comments: