Monday, August 6, 2012

Return to Scott's Bluff

Saturday, we arrived at Scott's Bluff at appx. 6:50m PM and I was immediately disappointed at the closed gate and the sign on the office door which said they closed at 7 PM. Still, I went inside to mope and moan to whoever was on duty, wailing that we'd come all the way from Norway to see the views from the top.

Fortunately, the elderly guy behind the counter was very sympathetic to my lament and offered me a ride up the mountain, since he was going up there after 7 anyway, to chuck out all remaining cars. People were allowed in the park till sundown, which was still a good hour or so away and he recommended I walk down, since it was only a 2.6 km (1.6 mile) stroll, mostly downwards.

I heartily thanked him and went out to tell Siri the good news. We waited around for about 15 minutes and I took some pics of the cute and fluffy bunnies that jumped around the grounds. He then came out and put us in the Ranger car; I even got to ride up front, wheeeee! We passed a few sporty people who were walking up there and did our best not to gloat too visibly.

Up at the top we walked around and took our pictures. I am happy to report that Siri was every bit as stunned at the views up there as I had been back in '09. We then walked down the narrow, winding path and gawped at the rock formations and the steep hillsides and the tiny tunnel through the mountain. We took a lot of pictures, but sadly my battery gave up halfway down, and I'd brought the wrong back-up battery so I should have taken even more. Wail.

All pics (including the old ones) here. You can read my post from 2009 here.

I warned Siri not to go too close to the edge. I made it clear that no one was to fall off the cliff without it being MY doing.
DSCN0886

You can see forever and ever from up there. View to the east.
DSCN0895

View to the west/north-west.
DSCN0885

One of the many pine trees at the top. Have I mentioned that I absolutely looove pines?
DSCN0883

Ravines looking like fingers on the plain down below.
DSCN0870

Erosion doing its work. This metal pipe was put into the ground in 1933, and was then level with the rock around it.
DSCN0901

Whimper.
DSCN0911

The tunnel through which we walked.
DSCN0863

The tunnel up close. It was warmer than outside. Someone had thoughtfully dug a little opening about midway, from which one might jump out and scare the beejesus out of other walkers.
DSCN0930

The bluff is a geologist's dream. You can see the layers in the rock clearly.
DSCN0918

This gave me a craving for ice cream.
DSCN0927

A lonely pine tree stood on the hillside on the north end of the walk and looked too picturesque not to photograph.
DSCN0925

Awwww.
DSCN0858

No comments: