Sunday, August 12, 2012

Wahkiakum

After the wolf refuge I drove south to Kelso, and then west along the Washington side of Columbia river. I stopped to take a ferry across to Oregon at a place called Cathlamet, in tiny Wahkiakum county. I stopped in at the county museum, partially because I was curious but mostly because I needed to pee.

Lo and behold they actually had some interesting stuff, and upon closer examination, it turned out the town had been largely settled by... NORWEGIANS. Yeah, we'd infested that area too. I looked at an old school picture and again most of the names were easily identifiable as Norwegian, either by family name or given name. Most of the time there was actually spent talking to the lady behind the counter, who did not catch on to my being a for'ner until I told her.

I then drove down to the ferry, intending to take it to Oregon, but the wait was so long I decided to fuck on outta there.

All pics here.

The county museum.
DSCN1511

A schoolmaster's desk from days of yore. No effin computers here, nosirree.
DSCN1512

The Sons of Norway had a lodge in the area and a meeting place out on Puget Island, whence the ferries left on the hour. I arrived at a quarter past.
DSCN1516

Historic poster.
DSCN1521

The ferry arrived at around 20 past the hour, but then proceeded to just WAIT. So I fucked off.
DSCN1524

No comments: